Built in the early 18th century for a local merchant, the house was bought in 1796 to provide a permanent residence for the Lieutenant Governor. For 46 years, successive Governors lived here until it opened for the first time as a hotel in 1857. It soon become a favorite of the Victorian "smart set."
On the afternoon of 28th June 1940 German planes attacked St Peter Port Harbour. And so from 1940 to 1945 the island was occupied and the hotel became the general staff headquarters.
Following the Liberation each successive owner has made alterations to the building. Currently owned by The Red Carnation Group, who bought the hotel in 2008, the OGH went through a major refubishment and is Guernsey's only 5 star hotel.