The largest construction in the Channel Islands at 7,000 square metres, the underground hospital was hewn out of solid rock by slave workers who had been captured by German forces during the occupation of the island during World War Two. Construction began in the winter of 1940 and was built underground so as not to be seen by overhead planes given the site was also used as an ammunition store. The hospital is truly an eerie insight into life on the island at the time.
The Underground Hospital is referenced in The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society novel: "Hitler was fanatical about fortifying these islands ... He ordered large gun emplacements, anti-tank walls on the beaches, hundreds of bunkers and batteries, arms and bomb depots, miles and miles of underground tunnels, a huge underground hospital, and a railway across the island to carry materials ...”