La Seigneurie Gardens are some of the finest formal gardens in the Channel Islands but their history is under-recorded, like that of many of the buildings here. The land they occupy was bought by Seigneur Pierre Le Pelley III in 1835. The Walled Garden is aligned with St Peter’s church that was built in 1820 and the central arches framed a view of the tower, a scene now obscured by the new Island Hall.
The high walls give protection from the wind and, together with the mild micro-climate, allow many tender and half-hardy plants to thrive. The more unusual specimens are labelled, such as the Australian bottlebrush and New Zealand tea tree. Probably the oldest surviving feature of the original layout is the formal rose garden edged with box hedging. The circular rose garden and pergola are much more recent, designed by the late Seigneur Michael Beaumont in 2000, and are known as the Millennium Rose Garden. The rose varieties in both areas have been chosen for their repeat flowering and fragrance and many were supplied by David Austin Roses.