It is recorded that in 1680 there was a fortification with one gun on this site. By 1795 however the fort had been strengthened and additional gun positions constructed. In 1801 6 guns were recorded on the headland. The Martello tower was built in 1804. In 1856 a barrack block was constructed and this housed part of the Regular Army garrison until the First World War. It was later destroyed.
Facilities & Amenities
Access - via footpaths from Hommet headland car park