Fort Hommet/ Stützpunkt Rotenstein
Hommet headland, Castel, GY5
It is recorded that in 1680 there was a fortification with one gun on this site. By 1795 however the fort had been strengthened and additional gun positions constructed. In 1801 6 guns were recorded on the headland. The Martello tower was built in 1804. In 1856 a barrack block was constructed and this housed part of the Regular Army garrison until the First World War.
The whole of the headland was designated a strongpoint during the Occupation and was known as Stutzpunkt Rotenstein. Bunkers were added to the site together with a 4.7cm Casemate, four 10.5cm Casemates, two Searchlight Bunkers, a Machine Gun Turret Bunker, a M19 Automatic Mortar Bunker, a Water Supply Bunker and a Personnel Shelter.
Following the Liberation many of the fortifications were stripped of all their fixtures and fittings by both the British Army and the islanders. Many occupation built buildings were subsequently buried in an attempt to return the landscape to its pre-war condition.
More recently parts of the fort have been restored, some of which is now open to visitors.
Facilities & Amenities
- Access - via footpaths from Hommet headland car park
- Parking - Hommet headland
- On Bus Routes - 42, 91, 92, P1 and N2