Victor Hugo Statue, Candie Gardens

1.2 km

Candie Gardens, Candie Road, St Peter Port, GY1


Victor Hugo spent a number of years in exile on Guernsey and it was during this time that he wrote several of his famous books. In recognition of Guernsey's hospitality to Victor Hugo the French Government decided to present the Island with a statue of the famous exile. It was made in around 1913 for the Sociéte Victor Hugo and was purchased by the French government for the sum of 30,000 francs (£1,291). The statue was publicly unveiled  in the grounds of Candie Gardens on the 7th July 1914.