Fort Doyle was completed in 1805. It was named after the Lieutenant Governor of the island at the time, Lieutenant General Sir John Doyle. In 1816 the fort had three 18 pounder cannons. By 1860 the East and West facing cannons had been mounted on traversing platforms. By 1909 the fort was obsolete and it housed an automatic light and foghorn system.